Eddington is a rural town in southern Penobscot County, settled in 1780 and incorporated on February 22, 1811 from Eddington Plantation. It annexed land from Jarvis Gore in 1823 and from Brewer in 1846 and 1855. Eddington has a population of 2,225 and is 27 square miles in size.
The town is named for a Massachusetts native, Jonathan Eddy, who moved to Nova Scotia about 1758, became successful and prominent there, but returned to Boston to volunteer his services in the Revolutionary War. In 1785 he and nineteen other refugees from Nova Scotia were given 9,000 acres of land in what was to become Eddington.
Eddington Bend has been known as the sharp curve in the Penobscot River were Route 9 & Route 178 intersect.
Eddington Village has been known as the area were Route 9 & Route 46 intersect. This is a historic area of town that includes the Eddington Community Church, Comins Hall, and historic homes.
Eddington is home to several bodies of water and recreational areas. The Penobscot River borders the western side of the town and recently was just reopened to Salmon fishing. Chemo Pond is the largest body of water in Eddington and is a busy place during the summer months. The Penobscot Experimental Forest, Davis Pond, and Boy Scout Camp Roosevelt are also popular destinations.
Trash & Recycling Collection Dates:
July 3rd - Trash & Recycling July 10th - Trash July 17th - Trash & Recycling July 24th - Trash July 31st - Trash
Please be advised that the Town Office will be closed Friday, July 3rd in observance of the 4th of July Holiday!!!
The 2014-2015 Town Report is now available online. Please click the link below to view.